Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Navigator
Company: Southeast Mississippi Rural Health Initiative Inc
Posted on: January 19, 2023
Job Description:Under the direction of the Director of Social
Services, the Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Navigator will
provide patient support and navigation services to HIV negative
individuals who are at higher risk of becoming infected by HIV
and/or who may have barriers to accessing and adhering to PrEP
care. In addition, the PrEP Navigator will support the development
of systems and infrastructure to increase PrEP services within
SeMRHI clinical sites with designated staff working with the
Primary Health HIV Prevention (PCHP) grant and Ryan White Program
(RWP). These services will be provided either in-person or via
phone at SeMRHI clinical sites and at off-site local health
facilities and targeted outreach locations.
- Coordinates, in conjunction with the PCHP High-Risk RN Case
Manager, Linkage to Care Social Worker and the Director of Social
Services, a navigation program for individuals to access PrEP care
- Functions as the primary point of contact for SeMRHI PrEP
services, providing in-person services for people seen at SeMRHI
clinical sites and support SeMRHI providers and clinical staff who
are providing PrEP services.
- Provides Rapid HIV testing and decision support to individuals
who are at risk for HIV and link to PrEP, Post-Exposure Prophylaxis
(PEP) or HIV care as appropriate
- Provides HIV education regarding prevention, chronic disease
management, HIV treatment, and medication adherence.
- Provides eligibility screening and enrollment assistance to
improve access and adherence to PrEP services.
- Maintains and reports accurate data for all grant reporting
requirements related to PrEP, HIV testing and targeted PrEP
outreach activities to the Director of Social Services by the tenth
of each month.
- Provides linkage to support services to address other
psychosocial needs as appropriate and make referrals to social
workers within the PCHP or RWP for more complex psychosocial
intervention as indicated.
- Assists the clinical team with individualized risk-reduction
counseling and support as well as adherence strategies for targeted
outreach interventions to optimize follow-up.
- Promotes the PrEP program within SeMRHI and with community
providers and agencies.
- Provides targeted PrEP outreach activities with at-risk
- Engages in active quality management activities to ensure
quality of care and prevention intervention strategies are
- Documents Rapid HIV testing and other patient-related
encounters in the patient's electronic health record and designated
reporting systems within 24 hours of the date of service.
- Participates in SeMRHI's PCHP and RWP staff activities
including staff meetings, supervision and other activities as
identified by the Director of Social Services.
- Participates in local and regional meetings and state and
national trainings/conferences, centered around PrEP and HIV
- Acquires and maintains strong knowledge of local, state, and
national PrEP-related resources and services and HIV education and
prevention interventions to assist patients in managing PrEP.
- Demonstrates a clear and ongoing understanding of patient
confidentiality and privacy standards.
- Demonstrates positive personal attributes such as honesty,
integrity, and professionalism in all aspects of the job.
- Demonstrates cultural competency in all activities and ensures
that all patients are treated fairly with high quality care.
- Maintains prompt and regular attendance.
- Verifies timecard at the end of each pay period.
- Performs other tasks deemed necessary by immediate
- High school graduate (minimum) or college graduate, preferably
in health-related field
- 2 years of experience working in a medical care setting with
certification or college degree
- Possess a clean, valid driver's license
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proactive and detail-oriented
- Great interpersonal skills to deal effectively with patients
and staff from different cultures, races, ages, genders, sexual
orientations, disabilities, and religious beliefs
- Ability to multi-task
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Word and
Excel and the use of electronic medical records
- Ability to effectively counsel and educate others using sound
communication and counseling skills
- Contribute to a team-based approach focused on patient care
- Ability to reason in planning and reporting
Physical and Other Requirements
- Must continuously listen and visualize and possess dexterity
and eye-hand coordination with the ability for simple grasping and
- Must frequently sit, squat, reach, use both right and left
forearm rotation, walk, and climb stairs
- Must occasionally kneel, twist, have ability to grasp firmly,
lift and carry, push, and pull more than 10 lbs.
- Must be able to sit, stand, or walk for long periods of
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check, drug screen
and physical assessment
- Must be willing to do local and out-of-state travel.
Keywords: Southeast Mississippi Rural Health Initiative Inc, Hattiesburg , Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Navigator, Other , Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!